The best way to contact me is by email: Edmund.firstname.lastname@example.org
PREPARING FOR THE PART A EXAMINATION OF THE FACULTY OF PUBLIC HEALTH (MFPH)
I run a revision course for the Part A exam, about a month before each sitting. This is a two-day course which focuses on exam technique. It is suitable for people who have completed a Masters course or equivalent basic learning, who are about to sit the exam.
Next courses in England:
December 5th / 6th in Winchester [20 places]
December 8th / 9th in Manchester [30 places]: joint course with Rachel Isba.
How to apply: email me on the above address on or after 1st September 2016 confirming that you plan to sit the exam in January 2017.
For the intensive course in Hong Kong, please contact HKCCM.
1. Click here for the course handout including tips on technique.
2. This is the full text version, which is fully referenced with hyperlinks for you to follow up matters of interest. To read before or after but this is NOT what you need on the course. If you use this please send me some feedback on what needs updating or improving.
3. I run a weekly blog of interesting papers in journals.
4. The critical appraisal question in paper IIA changed in 2015. Here are three examples of the new style.
5. The management syllabus is tricky for most people and not well covered in the textbooks, so I have written some 500 word answers under exam conditions on many of the items in the management syllabus. This download shows how to work examples into your answers.
6. Here is a download of Paper IIB practice questions plus some supplementary material.
7. Some people find mind maps a good way to organise their thoughts: here and here are examples kindly provided by Behrooz Behbod. Behrooz also runs an online magazine which, although not 100% exam focussed, gives good insight into some practicalities – useful for qq 9 and 10 of Paper I and for Paper IIA. See www.issuu.com/oxfordpublichealth/
8. For the truly desperate only, here is a summary of the epidemiology of some common diseases.